Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu nurtures your independent thinking, supports your fighting spirit, and helps you achieve your personal goals. Our students become leaders and the far reaching benefits will touch every aspect of your life.
Each student has their own goals and we support you in reaching them. The more you train, the better you will become and you will begin to understand yourself, on and off the mats, in ways you never imagined.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu will teach you how to defend yourself in combat and will allow you to apply those same principles to fighting the daily battles of life, like weight loss, stress, relationship issues, and self-confidence. Think through problems more constructively than before, on and off the mats.
At Monkey Bar Gym NW (MBG), we understand both high-level athletic performance and physical limitations. We train professional athletes, weekend warriors, mothers/fathers/kids, firefighters, grandmothers, and cancer survivors and everyone in between. We welcome anyone, as each workout is tailored to your individual skill level.
MBG specializes in natural movements, functional fitness, body weight training and resistance training. Rather than using traditional machines, MBG focuses on ropes, kettlebells, sandbags, tires, and the weight of your own body.
MBG has a 360 fitness platform which includes the following:
- Natural Weight Training
- One-on-One Personal Training
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
- Eischens Yoga
- Plant Based Supplements/Meal Plans
It is Monkey Bar Gym’s (MBG) mission to change the way the world views health and fitness. We are recognized worldwide as a health and fitness leader.
BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU:
Originally founded in Japan by peasant farmers who needed to defend themselves from sword and armor weilding Samurai, Jiu-Jitsu was founded as a system of leverages to give the smaller and weaker opponent a chance against a larger opponent.
Jiu-Jitsu was later refined to be more efficient by brothers Carlos and Helio Gracie in Rio De Janeiro during the 1920’s. There is no perfect body for Jiu-Jitsu, it works for everyone. Law enforcement and the military use Jiu-Jitsu as a main self-defense system for hand to hand combat. In addition to self-defense, it also aids performance in other sports by total body conditioning and adding a sense of balance and body awareness.
Gracie Barra is no ordinary martial arts organization. Students enjoy access to over 700 Gracie Barra Schools worldwide, professional-quality Jiu-Jitsu gear and online resources to further their training. We promote a holistic perspective to Jiu-Jitsu, including physical and mental wellness. All GB Schools are supervised by a Gracie Barra certified instructor, who supports students and helps each one achieve their potential through challenging training programs. Each class is customized to offer maximum benefit for the students in attendance.
We offer everything from Jiu-Jitsu classes for children and adults to Jiu-Jitsu inspired fitness classes, including self-defense classes for both men and women. Choose from a variety of Gracie Barra Programs, including:
- Gracie Barra Kids
- GB¹ – Jiu-Jitsu Fundamentals
- GB² – Advanced Jiu-Jitsu
- GB³ – Expert Jiu-Jitsu
- Private training
Master Carlos Gracie Jr. has allowed the principles of brotherhood, expansion and integrity to guide the Gracie Barra. Students are united to work toward a common goal, which promotes camaraderie and respect within our community. Our instructors honor great Jiu-Jitsu masters of the past and take pride in training the next generation of champions. We are committed to Keeping the Legacy Alive.
Certified Gracie Barra instructors have been trained in the methods outlined by our founder, Master Carlos Gracie Jr. himself. The Gracie Barra Instructor Certification Program connects our instructors to the inspiring, time-tested methods, and proven strategies of Master Carlos Gracie Jr., while giving access to an unparalleled collection of ideas, information, and lessons to provide Gracie Barra students with an exceptional training experience. This is the legacy of our founder, and it is the same legacy we instill into each and every one of our students today.
- 1. GB Jiu-Jitsu is a truly exciting way to get fit
- Jiu-Jitsu is often likened to a game of human chess. If you don’t like to work out at a gym because you get bored, you’re not alone. Many of our students were tired of going to the gym, and they couldn’t find new songs or audio books to entertain them on the treadmill. They found Jiu-Jitsu to be the perfect workout because it requires a high level of concentration proportional to the amount of calories burned and pounds lost. What’s more, you’ll still learn to defend yourself. It’s a win-win situation.
- 2. GB people are committed to your progress in learning
- The folks at GB make our school what it is, and you too will soon be one of us. You’ll be impressed by how committed each and every team member is to your learning. The instructors, staff and other students make our environment friendly yet demanding and challenging, which stimulates all of us to achieve our best.
- 3. The renowned Gracie Barra structure makes your journey in learning smooth and enjoyable
- The class structure is the trademark of all Gracie Barra Schools. Classes start on time and adhere to a standardized curriculum and class structure. As a student, you know up front what is expected of you and have a clear understanding of what to expect from your instructors and training partners. The consistency of this structure combined with the creativity and innovation of our devoted instructors blend perfectly to facilitate your progress.
- 4. GB Community will change your life forever
- When you join Gracie Barra, you are not just getting classes. You become part of a community united by the ideals of the Jiu-Jitsu lifestyle. Special classes and side events coupled with ordinary classes create a fun and exciting calendar of activities that you and your family will love to take part in.
- 5. GB Fighting Techniques will be useful outside the mats, in real-life situations
- You don’t come to class just to learn how to fight. You also work hard toward mastering the underlying principles that allow you to succeed on the mats. When applied to your life off the mats, these principles can bring more balance to your routine and help you reach your true potential.
- 6. You can train all over the world
- There are over 700 Gracie Barra Schools worldwide. When you join a Gracie Barra school you are free to train at any location while traveling.
- 7. GB is an Environment for the Whole Family
- One of the most unique characteristics about our schools is our family-orientated approach. Gracie Barra is proud to be a powerhouse with the most stalwart champions of Jiu-Jitsu in the world while still maintaining a training environment that is welcoming for the whole family: men, women, and children. At Gracie Barra, families find marvelous activities through which to spend quality time together.
- 8. You will train in germ-free facilities
- Cleanliness is a top priority. Our schools adhere to the strict standard of cleanliness and hygiene set by Gracie Barra. GB School staff clean the facilities constantly, and all GB uniforms are washed regularly. Our GB School mats are cleaned on a daily basis with a specially designed cleaning agent that neutralizes bacteria, fungus and odors without detriment to the equipment.
- 9. You couldn’t find a safer environment
- Student safety is our instructors’ primary goal. Training sessions are supervised at all times, and we have CPR-trained personnel on duty during every class.
- 10. Our more than 30 years of experience assure you a link to our art’s roots
- A certified Gracie Barra Black Belt instructor is responsible for teaching classes and is committed to Keeping the Legacy Alive. Our team of instructors are trained in the teaching philosophy and methods of Master Carlos Gracie Jr., the founder of Gracie Barra. A legacy of over 30 years of teaching experience is at your service, so you don’t have to worry: you and your family are in great hands.
Brotherhood, Expansion, Integrity
In a lifetime dedicated to the growth and development of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Master Carlos Gracie Jr. has always guided his efforts and actions by the values of brotherhood, expansion, and integrity. Simply stated by himself:
“My life is dedicated to Jiu-Jitsu. My goal was simply to build a brotherhood to lead the expansion of Jiu-Jitsu while respecting the essence of our art. My students are an extension of my family. I want each one of them to achieve their personal best while helping spread Jiu-Jitsu. We must do that honoring the traditions and efforts of those who came before us.” – Carlos Gracie Jr.
The values and principles that build Master Carlos Gracie Jr.’s personal philosophy have defined to a great extent the culture of Gracie Barra. The table to the right summarizes each one of Carlos’ core values and how they have impacted Gracie Barra as an organization:
Our team color is the red, our team flag is the Red Shield. The Red Shield connects the Gracie Barra community, our students taking their first class, our Black Belts graduating, our athletes in battle, our instructors teaching, our Schools keeping the legacy alive.
The Red Shield was created by Master Carlos Gracie Jr. with the purpose of unifying all of those who represent Gracie Barra, defend the Red Shield and pass forward the legacy transferred down from Grandmaster Carlos Gracie, and other Jiu-Jitsu legends such as Hélio Gracie, Rolles Gracie and Carlos Gracie Jr.
The Red Shield’s credibility was built over the years through hard work and excellence shown by the Gracie Barra students, athletes and instructors involved in sport Jiu-Jitsu competitions, teaching programs and community work. The Gracie Barra Red Shield is one of the most recognized symbols in Jiu-Jitsu today and all of those who carry it feel a deep sense of loyalty and commitment to Master Carlos Gracie Jr, Gracie Barra and the Jiu-Jitsu for Everyone movement.
Athletics at Gracie Barra is represented by a sport Jiu-Jitsu competition team known as EQUIPE GB. Athletics within Gracie Barra builds community and pride through the engagement of students, staff, parents, and friends, and creates a portal through which everyone can enjoy the GB experience. Successful athletic performance generates a unique excitement across the Gracie Barra Schools and community, help strengthen bonds among the various arms of our organization, build students loyalty in a healthy manner, and give Gracie Barra members yet another reason to be proud to represent the legacy of Master Carlos Gracie Jr. and defend the red shield.
Athletic participation helps Gracie Barra students grow, learn, and enjoy themselves while developing their body, mind and spirit. Our competition team, values the lessons that have long been taught by sport Jiu-Jitsu competitions: the pursuit of excellence through personal development and teamwork, ethical and responsible behavior on and off the mats, leadership and strength of character, and sportsmanship – respect for one’s opponents, acceptance of victory with humility, and acknowledgement of defeat with grace. By embracing these values, EQUIPE GB members create habits which will lead to a better lifestyle and well-being. While winning is not an end in itself, at Gracie Barra we believe that the efforts by our athletes to be their best will lead them to succeed throughout their lives.